Sunday, November 9, 2014

Modern days divide and rule policy – Religion

I start by apologizing to all the people reading this who are staunch believers and religious followers. The intent of my writing is not to hurt religious sentiments of people and is purely my personal opinion.

Like most blogs, religion-blogs are highly opinionated. Some get way too personal, some are funny, some present facts and some say nasty things about all the religions but theirs. Here I try and give my perspective on what I have personally experienced on the religious values and belief system.

Religion today I call is the modern days divide and rule policy. It’s important to know what we as people think about, when one chants Aum, Amen and Aameen. Religion by and large teaches you to be God fearing. But does it teach you to be God loving? Does it teach you to respect humanity?

We as elders teach the younger lot of people to chant Aum – which in Sanskrit means OM, the first syllable which embodies the universe in the Hindu religion, Amen – in the Holy Bible emphasizes on the approval from Jesus as per Christianity and Aameen – in the Holy Quran says blessings, are upon us by Allah. Midst this, we fail to hear the call from that one supreme power which or who sends the same message to each one, irrespective of the silhouette that we as humans have created.

Can we free ourselves from being Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, and Buddhism? When you talk about the religion you follow, you are trying to impose your thoughts and beliefs. You redesign the religion to conveniently fit your needs and wants and present it as truth. If you call killing innocent people gets you closer to God in the name of Religion, then you are persuading yourself to accept what is against the wishes of God. If dividing people as the backward class and letting them roll over the leaves after the pundits have had a lavish meal because then the people from the backward class get to climb the stairway to heaven, then you are disrespecting humanity. By doing this and believing the wrongs, we are cascading the effect of divide and rule among us humans and the generations that follow thereby questioning the fundamentals of faith.

Let’s just talk about a diverse country as India. We are very much aware of the differences that are spread from north to south and east to west. The cultures, traditions even within one’s own religion differ. Having had so many differences to deal with already, does it make any logical sense to divide ourselves on religion? Of course the mythology and the hidden stories of a religion are very intriguing. There are a lot of layers in every religion’s mythological story and is interpreted in a lot of ways by many.

God doesn't have a definition. He is over and above the religion. He created humans and not religion. To be able to connect with the supreme divine power is what matters. Never mix faith and tradition or faith and religion to emphasize on having an upper hand in your religion over the other. Don’t discriminate, is what faith teaches every individual. Don’t entangle yourself in the web of innumerable beliefs. 

I chose to believe in humanity, value, kindness which supersedes everything than believing in religion. I searched desperately for that element of solace to be able to connect with my inner beat, but couldn't connect. And then, by giving up a belief system which I have followed for over two decades, I realized the calling for me was beyond the place of worship. By completely cutting my religious ties, I have made more enemies than friends in my own first circle of loved and trusted family members and friends. It did take longer than usual to unplug and has taken many by surprise. But I have no qualms, because it has got me closer to God.

Like very well put by the famous American author Wayne Dyer "Religion is orthodoxy, rules and historical scriptures maintained by people over long periods of time. Generally people are raised to obey the customs and practices of that religion without question. These are customs and expectations from outside the person and do not fit my definition of spiritual."


Do I believe in God? Yes. Do I believe in religion? No. When something works for me, why give it a name to demean its sanctity.

No comments:

Post a Comment