Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Anchoring Life

Life surprises everyone when you least expect it. That's exactly what happened on one summer evening with a bunch of friends over a drink. Now I'm uncertain if I was dared into this act of bravery or if my friends were drunk so much so that they threw this challenge at me.

Whatever be the case, I decided to get inked.

What one forgets is, deciding to do is one thing, actually getting it done is a different ball game all together. From that evening, I started researching on what tattooing is, how's it done etc etc. As much as I spent my time on the "how painful would it be" part, I dint really spend any time on the former - which is Researching. That is simply because I dread injections. Anything to do with a prick in my conscious self, I run in the opposite direction. I am paranoid of getting vaccinations or IV although in the recent past I have had many tours to the hospitals getting exactly the same.

Note that I mentioned pricking in my conscious being. When I reached out to the tattoo Artist, I unabashedly mentioned to her that I would gulp a few glasses of wine and come over to her studio to get the tattoo and be oblivious to the pain and get home. But, I was disappointed yet again because liquor is a strict no-no.

My fear still prevailing, I asked her what would be the intensity of the pain that I might have to endure. She in all her tranquility stated "Don't you worry, it wouldn't be half as painful as the pain you endure for your threading". As much as I felt relieved hearing that, I wouldn't settle in. I asked my friends who had got themselves inked by sitting through the whole process for hours and they had a different view point all together.

Cut to current state, I had the picture in mind and the body part I wanted to get inked. By mustering all the courage that I can ever imagine and with my support system whom I fondly call my lifelines; I landed at the tattoo studio. There was another round of reality check and convincing needed for me in the studio as well. After an hour of all the talks and confidence build up, I lay there on the tattoo bedding with all the equipment and the ink around me ready to get inked for life!!

Amidst all the fear, I still managed to tell my friend to click pictures! Yeah, well you don't want to miss the moments of the act of bravery put out there for you to take a look at later.

I wouldn't say it wasn't painful, but what I enjoyed the most was I had never ever in my wildest dreams thought of getting a tattoo done. The first one always holds a special place in your heart and life and body of course :)

What's the significance of the tattoo in my life? It's the anchor of my life and very close to my heart!!

Will I get inked again? Well, never say never!!

No comments:

Post a Comment