Monday, December 29, 2014

Kerala - God's Own Country


I always wondered why people call Kerala - God’s Own Country. To find my answers, I decided to pay a visit and experience some of its exquisite locations.

I booked an early morning flight, packed my bags and was off to Kerala. I had already decided on the places I would be visiting – Alleppey and Munnar. My first destination was Alleppey. The closest airport to reach Alleppey is the Cochin International airport. The bright sunny morning along with the cold October breeze was the perfect start for my voyage. On reaching the airport, I was picked by my driver and was off to Alleppey. From Cochin, it’s about 90 minutes drive to the houseboat that I had booked.

On reaching Alleppey, and walking down a sinewy stretch, I was eager to spot the houseboat. Lavender – as she is called. The houseboat was a nice home away from home.
Lavender - As she is fondly called

I was welcomed by the chef/caretakers of the boat - Joe and Ashokumaran so courteously. They served me with a traditional Kerala welcome drink tender coconut with a touch of contemporary presentation combined with the freshness of Pineapple. After a nice rinse it was time now for the boat to cruise through the back waters. The boat floats through the still waters dotted with tall coconut trees, undisturbed by the scurry of the household chores by the villagers on the shore. I ask the captain of the boat, Ashokumaran if I can voyage the houseboat and he immediately obliges with a smile. I rotate the wheel and turn it to the right. He chuckles at my effort to manoeuvre between the approaching houseboat on the left.  Finally after cruising for about one hour, he anchors the boat in the middle of the backwaters away from the shore for some yummiliciuous Kerala meal. As the meal is laid on the table, I see many such half-filled housboats float past me and the people on board exchanging smiles and waves. To have a meal as authentic as this one comprising of nice deep fried fish, rice, avail and Kerala pappad all cooked in the aromatic coconut oil, makes you yearning for this quiet moment amidst waters and sea crows.
Kerala meen - deep fried in aromatic oil and abundant flavors

Continuing the ride along through the narrow canals, occasionally interrupted by ear-splitting music and spotting small canoes rowed by the villagers, as the boat alights back at the shore, I look back at the calm backwaters and other houseboats and let the experience seep in. After dinner it was time to hit the bed. The quite backwaters and the cool breeze from the outside and some aromatic food being cooked by the locals dint take long for me to quickly fall asleep. I was all set the next day to start my tour to my next destination to Munnar.

The drive from Alleppey to Munnar is a long 3hrs. En route to the destination I came across a beautiful waterfall.
Waterfall en route to Munnar
The clear waters and the forceful sound of the falls in the midst of the serene and green forest was harmony to the ears. As I approached Munnar, the weather started dropping. The cold breeze blowing through my face, the drizzles from the misty clouds reminded me why I loved the monsoons.

Approaching the Deep Woods Resort, I realized this was so far off from the city nestled in absolute silence. Located at the highest point in Kerala, 1700meters above sea level, Munnar allows a splendid view of the Western Ghats, which unfolds before you like a green carpet.
Tea plantations in Munnar

This place is often covered by mist on a clear day. You surely feel like you are walking through the clouds. Around Munnar are a lot of sightseeing options. My first stop was at the Kannan Devan Tea Museum, the first tea museum of its kind in the country. There are several old equipment’s at the museum which take you to the era of how people valued labor and machine was just a medium to make life easy and not a part of their life. Some of it was the tea processing machine, the rail unit, first typewriter and many more. I was not only exposed to the right way of making tea but also realized how tedious it was by the time we are presented with the aromatic tea dust that we enjoy every morning at bed. The journey at the museum would have been incomplete without a hot cup of Black Cardamom Tea to sip on. I also picked some tea packs to bring back home which were available at discounted prices.
One of the tea processing machine
The sunset at the Pothamadu viewpoint was truly mesmerizing. I have witnessed the sunset at the beach before this. But looking at the sun set deep in the forest from a hill top was spectacular. The colors of the setting sun with lush greenery, truly defines nature at its best.

Munnar is a great place to stock up spices like cardamom, vanilla, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. As I take a stroll through the streets, I find number of shops across the streets selling all these and chocolates in different flavors, shapes and sizes. Language or communication was not one bit of a hassle considering Kerala is one of the most literate states in India. People are very warm and welcoming towards the tourist.

How could I leave Kerala without gorging on some amazing, coconut oil fried banana chips? You surely cannot stop at one. And I completely vouch for this green state being labelled God’s own country. It truly is a place, which will bring to the fore the simple joys of life one tends to forget in the urban whirlwind.



No comments:

Post a Comment